Thanks to the Kardashian klan the demand for glute focused workouts is bigger than ever. There’s no time like the present to maximize your ‘assets’, so get yourself some squat proof training leggings and head to the gym! follow our 7-step booty building workout and you’ll finally get an overwhelming ‘YES!’ to the age-old question – ‘Does my bum look big in this?’.
STEP ONE: ACTIVATE YOUR GLUTES
Before you grab the kettle-bell, you need to warm up the buttocks to properly strengthen its muscles. These body-weight exercises will help improve your overall gym performance, and will thoroughly prepare you for more intensive exercises. Positioning an elastic resistance band at mid-thigh level will restrict your range of movement, ensuring your glutes are engaged during the warm-up exercises:
- Crab walks – Resistance band in place, lower yourself to a squat, and pivot yourself for 12 steps, with a pulse at each repetition.
- Standing squat – Stand with your feet hip width apart and squat down slowly, keeping your back straight. Repeat 12 times.
- Glute bridges –Lying on a mat, with your knees bent and the resistance band in place, push your hips up off the floor in one powerful burst. Squeeze your bum at the top, hold for a few seconds and then slowly lower yourself back down. Repeat 20 times.
- Complete four sets.
STEP TWO: STRENGTH TRAINING
To strengthen any muscle, you need to challenge it. Incorporating strength training exercises that specifically target your butt is the best way to enhance it. You should be sure to mix up your routine regularly, as your body can quickly get used to the same exercises. We advise committing to a consistent booty workout for 6 weeks, with an aim to increase the weight. After 6 weeks, you should then revision this training plan, to keep your body guessing.
- Walking Lunge –Hold a kettle bell in each hand and lunge up and down the length of the room. Be sure to squeeze the glute throughout the exercise and pulse at the bottom for maximum impact.x24 reps x3 sets
- Barbell Squats + body weight squats – Superset regular body weight squats with weighted ones to really feel the burn. If you are trying to increase your personal best, opt for a pyramid set – where the repetitions lower as weight increases.
- 12 reps x 3 sets weighted squats& 10 reps x 3 sets of body weight.
- Weighted pyramid sets:
Low weight – 12 reps
Med weight – 10 reps
Heavy weight – 6-8 reps/ ‘til exhaustion
- Weighted Glute Bridges–This is executed the same as resistance glute bridges, with the addition of a weighted barbell held at hip level.x15 reps x3 sets
- Leg press–This move will need to be executed using the leg press machine. With legs at 90 degrees, push your legs out straight, without locking your knees, and slowly lower the platform back to the starting position. x12 reps x3 sets
STEP THREE: INTRODUCE HIIT TRAINING
To reduce body fat percentage and improve overall body composition, it’s important that you also incorporate some cardiovascular activity. High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) a couple of times a week is the most efficient way to burn fat, as workouts generally last 20 minutes. HIIT Training involves 20-30 seconds of high-intensity work, followed by a 20 second rest period continuously, throughout the course of the workout. Some great HIIT workouts include:
Hill Sprints – With the tread mill set to a high incline, sprint as fast as you can for 20 seconds, then jump to the sides to rest for 20 seconds. Repeat this pattern for a minimum of 15 minutes. You’ll be dripping with sweat by the end!
Prowler Run’s –Adding a suitable amount of weight to the prowler, push it for 1-3 lengths of the room, followed by a 30 second rest period. Repeat this pattern up to 6 times.
Skipping – An underrated exercise that you probably loved in childhood, skipping in intervals provides an intensive cardiovascular workout. Time 30 second blasts, with 10 seconds of rest and repeat.